Overdrive for Android Phones and Tablets
You can use the OverDrive app to get eBooks and audiobooks on your Android device.
What You Need
One of the following (or similar - if it runs Android, it's ok) devices:
- Samsung Galaxy phones and tablets
- Google Nexus devices
Install the OverDrive app
There are two options to download the OverDrive app:
Option 1: Download the OverDrive app from the Google Play store.
Option 2: If you have an Android device that does not have access to the Google Play Store, you can follow the instructions below to install OverDrive's app directly.
Set up the OverDrive app
- Open the OverDrive app and sign in using the 14-digit number on the back of your library card (no spaces). Your PIN is the last 4 digits of the phone number you used to sign up for your library card. Note: You do not need to create an account with OverDrive to use this service. Your library card number and pin are all you need.
- In the OverDrive app, tap the icon in the top-left corner of your screen to open the Home menu and see your library list.
- Tap a library from your list to open its OverDrive website. If your list is empty, tap Manage libraries, then tap + in the upper right hand corner of your screen to find Allen Public Library's OverDrive website. To find Allen Public Library, enter 75013 in the search field and tap search.
- Tap the star to the left of the library name to save your library to your library list.
- Tap your library's name to start searching for eBooks or audiobooks.
Borrow and Enjoy
- Find an available title and tap Borrow. Or, tap the title's jacket to open its detail page (you can read a description, borrow the title, and see what formats are available. Once you click borrow, the item is checked out to you.
- If you borrow a title from its details page, the Borrow button will change to show suggestions for how to enjoy the title on your device. This could be adding the title to the OverDrive app or opening it in your browser.
- Go to your Loans page (under My Account > Loans) to see all of your options for borrowed titles. From there, you can:
- Tap Add to app to add a eBook to your bookshelf in the OverDrive app. If the book comes in multiple downloadable formats, tap Choose a format, then EPUB eBook to add it directly to the OverDrive app. Note: You can only choose one downloadable format for each eBook.
- Tap Add to app to add audiobooks directly to your bookshelf the OverDrive app.
- Tap Read Now to open and read OverDrive Read eBooks in your browser.
- Tap Listen Now to open and play OverDrive Listen audiobooks in your browser (on some devices).
- If you've installed the Kindle reading app from the Google Play store on your device, select Choose a format, then Kindle book to complete checkout on Amazon's website and send the book to your Kindle reading app.