Overdrive using a Kindle Fire
You can use the OverDrive app to borrow and enjoy eBooks and audiobooks on your Kindle Fire, Fire HD, or Fire HDX.
Install the OverDrive app
Choose one of the following options to download the OverDrive app:
Option 1: Download the OverDrive app from either the Google Play Store or the Amazon Appstore.
Option 2: You can install the OverDrive app directly, if you do not have access to the Google Play Store. Just follow the steps below:
- Go to app.overdrive.com and scroll to the bottom.
- Select download for Android OS 4.0 (or newer) or Android OS v2.2-3.2, depending on your device. If you're unsure what version of Android your device is running, go to Settings, then About [Device] or Info.
- Review the license agreement. Tap I Agree to download the installation file. You may get a warning saying that this kind of file can harm your device. This is normal. OverDrive tests their installer to make sure it's safe to install. Click OK to continue.
- You should see a download icon in your notification bar at the top of the screen. Pull down from the top of your screen, then tap the APK file once the download is complete.
- If prompted, open the file with the "Package Installer."
- If you get the "Install blocked" message, follow these steps to allow installation from "Unknown Sources." If you don't get this message, continue to step 7.
- Review the app's permissions, then tap Install (or Next).
- Tap Open to launch OverDrive, or tap Done to close the installer.
Set Up the OverDrive app
- The first time you open the OverDrive app, you'll be prompted to sign in. To sign in, use the 14-digit number on the back of your library card (no spaces). Your PIN is the last 4 digits of the phone number you used to sign up for your card. Note: You do not need to create an account with OverDrive. Your library card number and pin are all you need.
- In the app, tap the icon in the top-left corner to open the Home menu and see your library list.
- Select a library from your list to open its OverDrive website. If your list is empty, or you want to add a new library, tap Manage libraries, then tap + located in the top-right corner. To find Allen Public Library, enter 75013 in the search field and tap search.
- Select Allen Public Library from the list of results. Then, tap the star to the left of the library name to save the library to your library list.
- Tap the library name (Allen Public Library) to start browsing.
Borrow and enjoy
- In the OverDrive website, find an available title and tap Borrow. Or, tap the title's jacket to open its details page (where you can read a description, borrow the title, and more). If prompted, sign in.
- If you borrow a title from its details page, the Borrow button will change to show options for how to enjoy the title on your device. This could be adding the title to the OverDrive app or opening it in your browser.
- Go to your Loans page (under My account > Loans) to see all of your options for borrowed titles. From there, you can:
- Tap Add to app to add an eBook to your bookshelf in the OverDrive app. If the eBook comes in multiple downloadable formats, tap Choose a format, then select EPUB eBook to add it to the OverDrive app. Note: You can only choose one downloadable format for each eBook.
- Tap Add to app to add an audiobook to your bookshelf in the OverDrive app.
- Tap Choose a format, the Kindle Book to go to Amazon's website, complete checkout, and send the book to your Kindle or Kindle Reading app.
Check out the OverDrive app video for a visual viewing of how to get started in the app.