Overdrive using a NOOK tablet
You can use the OverDrive app to get eBooks and audiobooks on your Nook tablet (such as the NOOK HD, HD+, or NOOK by Samsung tablets).
Note: If you are using an older NOOK tablet, like a NOOK Color or Tablet, you can no longer install the OverDrive app on your device. Instead, you can transfer eBooks to your NOOK from Adobe Digital Editions.
Install the Overdrive App
There are two options to install the app.
Option 1: Download the OverDrive app from the Google Play Store.
Option 2: If you do not have access to the Google Play Store, you can install the app from OverDrive directly by following these steps:
- Go to app.overdrive.com and scroll to the bottom.
- Select download for Android OS 4.0 (or newer) or Android OS v2.2-3.2, depending on your device. If you're unsure what version of Android your device is running, go to Settings, then About [Device] or Info.
- Review the license agreement. Tap I Agree to download the installation file. You may get a warning saying that this kind of file can harm your device. This is normal. OverDrive tests their installer to make sure it's safe to install. Click OK to continue.
- You should see a download icon in your notification bar at the top of the screen. Pull down from the top of your screen, then tap the APK file once the download is complete.
- If prompted, open the file with the "Package Installer."
- If you get the "Install blocked" message, follow these instructions to allow installation from "Unknown Sources." If you don't get this message, continue to step 7.
- Review the app's permissions, the tap Install (or Next).
- Tap Open to launch OverDrive for Android, or tap Done to close the installer.
Set up the OverDrive app
- Open the OverDrive app and sign in using the 14-digit number on the back of your library card (no spaces). Your PIN is the last 4 digits of the phone number you used to sign up for your card. Note: You do not need to create an account with OverDrive. Your library card number and pin are all you need.
- In the OverDrive app, tap the icon in the top-left corner of your screen to open the Home menu and see your library list.
- Tap a library from your list to open its OverDrive website. If your list is empty, tap Manage libraries, then tap + in the upper right hand corner of your screen to find Allen Public Library's OverDrive website. To find Allen Public Library, enter 75013 in the search field and tap search.
- Tap the star to the left of the library name to save your library to your library list.
- Tap your library's name to start searching for eBooks or audiobooks.
Borrow and Enjoy
- Find an available title and tap Borrow. Or, tap the title's jacket to open its detail page (you can read a description, borrow the title, and see what formats are available. Once you click borrow, the item is checked out to you.
- If you borrow a title from its details page, the Borrow button will change to show suggestions for how to enjoy the title on your device. This could be adding the title to the OverDrive app or opening it in your browser.
- Go to your Loans page (under My Account > Loans) to see all of your options for borrowed titles. From there, you can:
- Tap Add to app to add an eBook to your bookshelf in the OverDrive app. If the book comes in multiple downloadable formats, tap Choose a format, then EPUB eBook to add EPUB eBooks directly to the OverDrive app. Note: You can only choose one downloadable format for each eBook.
- Tap Add to app to add audiobooks directly to the OverDrive app.
- Tap Read Now to open and read OverDrive Read eBooks in your browser.
- Tap Listen Now to open and play OverDrive Listen audiobooks in your browser (only compatible with NOOK by Samsung tablets).
- If you've installed the Kindle reading app from the Google Play store, select Choose a format, then Kindle book to complete checkout on Amazon's website and send the book to your Kindle reading app.
NOOK tablets are based on the Android operating system, so many of the Android help articles are also useful for NOOK tablets.Check out the OverDrive app video for a visual overview of getting started in the app.