Overdrive using a Windows computer (8, RT, and 10)
You can use the OverDrive app for Windows 8 to get eBooks and audiobooks on your Windows 8, RT, or 10 device.
The steps below will help you get started with the OverDrive app for Windows 8. With Windows 8 and 10 (not RT), you can also install OverDrive's desktop app, which allows you to burn and transfer audiobooks.
Set up the OverDrive app
- Install the OverDrive app from the Windows Store. The first time you open the app, you'll be prompted to sign in. To sign in to Allen Public Library's OverDrive website, use the 14-digit number on the back of your library card (no spaces).
Your PIN is the last 4 digits of the phone number you used to sign up for your card. Note: You do not need to create an account with OverDrive. Your library card number and pin are all you need.
- In the app, select a library from your "My libraries" list to open its OverDrive website. If your list is empty, or your want to add a library, select Manage libraries. To add Allen Public Library to your library list, tap + in the upper right hand corner of your screen to find Allen Public Library's OverDrive website. Enter 75013 in the search field and tap search.
- Tap the stat to the left of the library name to save the library to your library list.
- Tap your library's name to start search for eBooks or audiobooks.
Borrow and enjoy
- Once in Allen Public Library's OverDrive website, find an available title and tap Borrow. Or, tap the title's jacket to open its details page (where you can read a description, borrow the title, and more). If you are not already signed in, you will need to sign in when prompted to complete checkout.
- If you borrow a title from its details page, the Borrow button will change to show options for how to enjoy the title on your device. This could be adding the title to the OverDrive app or opening it in your browser.
- Select to go to your Loans page (My Account > Loans) and see all of your options for borrowed titles. From there, you can:
- Tap Add to app to add an eBook or audiobook to your bookshelf in the OverDrive app. If an eBook comes in multiple downloadable formats, tap Choose a format, then select EPUB eBook to add it to the OverDrive app.
- Select Choose a format, then Kindle Book to go to Amazon's website, complete checkout, and send the book to your Kindle or Kindle reading app. Note: You can only choose one downloadable format for each eBook.
- Select Read now to open an eBook in a new tab in your browser, without downloading it to the OverDrive app.
- Select Listen now to open an audiobook in a new tab in your browser, without downloading it to the OverDrive app.
Check out the OverDrive app video for a visual overview of getting started in the app.