Household Chemical Collection

City of Allen collects and disposes of eligible household chemicals at no charge to residents. Known as the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) program, this service is offered in partner with City of Plano to help keep our environment free of chemical contamination.

  • How to dispose of chemicals/HHW: If you live in Allen, the City will collect your eligible household chemicals free of charge. Schedule an HHW pickup using MyAllen (account required) or call Community Services at 214.509.4551.
  • Pick up reusable chemicals for free at the Reuse Center: Eligible chemicals are returned to the Allen Chemical Reuse Center and available free of charge to Allen and Plano residents. This service is offered to help keep the environment free of chemical contamination.
  1. service guidelines
  2. medical Waste
  • The max weight allowed is 50 pounds per collection.
  • All flammable materials (such as gasoline, kerosene or oil) should be in original containers or containers approved to transport flammable materials. Flammable liquids may also be poured into plastic detergent or juice bottles with screw-top lids, provided they are clearly labeled and contain no more than one gallon of flammable liquid.
  • Chemicals diluted with significant amounts of water will not be collected.
  • Rusted or leaking containers must be placed inside another container (such as a bucket) or a tied inside a plastic bag
  • Items must display their original labels. Unlabeled containers will not be collected.
  • Non-HHW or unacceptable items will not be collected.
  • HHW bins must be ready for pickup by 7 a.m. on the scheduled collection day.
  • HHW is prohibited from being placed in the trash or recycle cart: Code of Ordinances: Health and Environment, Section 6-55. Prohibited Acts (k) & Penalty for Violation.

Chemicals accepted for disposal

The following household chemicals are accepted in the chemical collection program and should not be placed in your trash or recycle cart.

Accepted for disposal
Ammonia-based cleaners; window cleaner, drain cleaner, oven cleaner
Brake, power steering and transmission fluids
Car batteries and battery acid
Car wax
Cooking oil
Drain cleaner
Fertilizer, fungicides, herbicides, pesticides
Floor care products, furniture polish
Gasoline, diesel fuel
Insect sprays
Lighter fluid, kerosene
Motor oil, oil filters
Paint, primer, paint thinner or stopper
Pool chlorine, pool cleaners, shock treatment, muriatic acid, alkaline additive
Small propane or helium tanks
Wood preservatives

Chemicals not accepted for disposal

These materials are not accepted in the City’s chemical collection program and require special handling for disposal. Please call the Community Services Department at 214.509.3100 for assistance with proper disposal of the following materials.

Not accepted
Ammunition: Call the Allen Police Department for disposal info at 214.509.4263
Chemical containers larger than 5 gallons
Chemicals not in original containers (with the exception of automotive fluids)
Common household batteries (AAA/AA/C/D/9-volt/12-volt): Place these in regular trash collection
Expired medication
Fireworks or explosives: Call the Allen Fire Marshal for disposal info at 214.509.4400. If you discover explosives, call 911.
Fire extinguishers: Large propane tanks can be disposed of at most propane exchange cages. Call manufacturer for further disposal options.
Medical waste, including syringes
Mercury thermostats: Deliver to front desk of Allen City Hall (305 Century Parkway) to be recycled
Nuclear/radioactive materials (smoke detectors)
Photographic processing chemicals
Unlabeled/commercial quantities of HHW chemicals